Re: encrypted password for roles not shown

От Dave Page
Тема Re: encrypted password for roles not shown
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

(please keep the list CC'd)

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 3:00 PM Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave, it is weird. We are running many servers each with different versions of Postgres. For some servers, the encrypted password is shown, for others it is not.

It isn't shown for PostgreSQL 12.5
Nor for PostgreSQL 9.6.19

It is present on PostgreSQL 11.4, but If it seems if I connect to the 11.4 servers as a superuser, I see the password. Otherwise I do not.

Right - you won't see it if you are not a superuser.

Do you think it is the Postgres version? Or could it be the privs for the login I use to connect to the server?

Very unlikely to be the Postgres version; this area of Postgres really hasn't changed for years.

The privs are definitely a consideration here.

But another strange thing is happening. Not all the roles are shown. Some are missing. And they are missing when I login in as a superuser. They appear when I login as a non-superuser.

pgAdmin runs the same query to view the list of roles, regardless of whether or not you're a superuser. Are you certain you're looking at the same server from both accounts? I can't think of any other reason why the two users would get different results (if it were the other way round, with superusers able to see everything but not normal users then perhaps).

Not sure if this sketchy info is enough to track this down. If you need more detailed info, let me know