Re: Remove dialogue "Apply" buttons?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Remove dialogue "Apply" buttons?
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 16:57 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> The Function, Trigger and View dialogues (and the Package dialogue for
>> Postgres Plus Advanced Server users) are the only properties dialogues
>> in pgAdmin which have Apply buttons.
>>
>> They have these because those dialogues can be used to write code of
>> some description (though, for triggers that is again only on PPAS,
>> which supports triggers with in-line SPL code).
>>
>> The Function and View dialogues also have Guru Hints that are shown
>> when you use them to actively discourage users from editing code in
>> that way, and to use the Query Tool instead.
>>
>> We've recently discovered some bugs related to use of the Apply
>> buttons, one of which has already been fixed with a complex patch, and
>> one of which is still being worked on, but is already a non-trivial
>> amount of code change.
>>
>> As we have so few of these buttons and they're there primarily to
>> support a working practice that we discourage anyway, I'd like to
>> simply remove them so we can avoid the fragile and messy code changes
>> needed to make them work reliably.
>>
>> I propose to do this both for 1.18.x *and* 1.16.2+
>>
>> Comments/objections please?
>>

> +1 to remove them from 1.18.
>
> I would prefer to keep them in 1.16, as it is a stable release.

Well, no it's not - that's the point. There is very high risk that
fixing the bugs will cause even more things to break, and frankly I'm
not prepared to spend any more time fixing them. My beermat
calculation tells me we've already spent at least 2 man-weeks in this
cycle alone, trying to fix issues caused by these buttons.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company