Re: Editable resultset

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Editable resultset
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Michal Kozusznik
<kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
> On 17.1.2013 16:54, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> It's not a case of voting I'm afraid. It's finding someone with the
>> time and desire to implement the feature.
>>

> When team working on pgAdmin will get rid of all bugs (hope it is not
> infinity collection) then they may start on improving the product.
> I know pgAdmin is open source and its for free. But it is not reason to
> answer this way. I noticed that any improvement request is rejected with
> comment "do it your self". In my opinion it's a shame.

Well, much as I'd love to have the time to implement every worthwhile
feature that people request, I simply don't, and I know Guillaume
doesn't either. So, there really isn't much I can do other than to
suggest contributing code yourself. That is, after all, how all of us
got involved with PostgreSQL, so you'll have to excuse me for not
thinking it's particularly weird.

> It's quite clear that some features are just unfinished prototypes and no
> one wants to touch this  again (being afraid to crash it completely).

There are 2 features where that sort-of but not quite applies. The
Query Builder, which was half-baked and never should have been
committed in my opinion - what is disabled by default in any build,
and only affects anything if you explicitly enable it, and second, the
Debugger which has never been as stable as it should be, something
which only came to light *after* Mac and Solaris builds were tested
where it became apparently that the threading code in it doesn't work
consistently across all platforms (and that code comes from
wxWidgets).

But, I've had one of the team at EnterpriseDB working tirelessly for
the last 2 - 3 months to rewrite that from the ground-up for the next
release.

> Unfortunately it tells everything about quality of code. But one day it must
> be refactored and some features must be cleaned up. So why to not start
> improving pgAdmin today? Is it really matter of time or desire (rather
> reluctance)?

Yes, it's time, and lack of people willing to contribute to the
project. And the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of lines of
code, and more features being added to PostgreSQL all the time which
also need to be supported.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com