Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Autoformatting

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Autoformatting
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hello!

Attached are current designs for SQL autoformatting. This feature is not developed yet, only mockups of a potential solution so technical implementation is still being discussed. Style guide for autoformatting doesn't yet exist either, what's shown is manually formatted by another person.

When a user highlights a section of text, a menu option appears below with the option to autoformat text.

Not included in this current design:
- other options available when highlighting multiple sections of text

Per our discussion yesterday, I think this is my biggest concern. Other examples of options when blocks of text are highlighted are block indent/outdent (we already have indent), and block commenting.

- compacting queries

We're currently testing this design with pgAdmin3 users. Looking to validate with a few more before developing the feature. Let us know your thoughts!

I have a couple more:

- I think the popup control panel should be in a different colour to the highlight color. Maybe the light blue we use on the bootstrap panels.

- Please ensure the formatting code is a implemented in a way that allows easy re-use. I'd like to be able to use it on the SQL and mSQL panels for example, to ensure consistent formatting for display which can be very hard to achieve in the templates alone.

- I would suggest starting a mailing list thread with a rough draft of the intended formatting rules. We can refine them together, and include them in the docs as well as implemented in the code.

Thanks!

1. Query pasted into text editor
16- unformatted query.png

2. Query highlighted and autoformat option appears
17- query highlighted.png

3. Query formatted
18- formatted query.png