Re: BigSQL Download descriptions

От Dave Page
Тема Re: BigSQL Download descriptions
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Rader, David <davidr@openscg.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> I had cause to look at the BigSQL downloads again, and realised that
>> the descriptions on our download pages (and the language on the BigSQL
>> website) seems to be quite inaccurate and exaggerated:
>>
>> On https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/, I believe there are
>> the following issues:
>>
>> - "plus dozens of pre-integrated open source community components.":
>> If I run BigSQL Manager, I'm offered ten add-ons to download (which
>> includes a JRE). If I look in the database server installation, I also
>> see pl/Java, plv8, plProfiler and plDebugger extensions. "Dozens" is
>> clearly inaccurate.
>>
>> - "high availability": There is a "failoverd.pl" included with
>> PostgreSQL, which claims to manage streaming replication. However, the
>> docs require additional modules to be installed using CPAN, and
>> pgBouncer (not included anywhere that I can see). I do not believe
>> that could reasonably be called "pre-integrated".
>>
>> - "replication": I can't find any non-core replication tools or
>> extensions in BigSQL Manager or on disk.
>>
>>  There is similar wording on the Windows download page, but I couldn't
>> verify what is available in BigSQL Manager there, as it simply
>> wouldn't run on my Windows 7 box. However, failoverd.pl doesn't appear
>> to be included at all.
>>
>> On the BigSQL website itself there is also a prominent "Components"
>> link. To a casual user, it would appear that that page lists what is
>> available in BigSQL, however, it lists over 20 components I can find
>> no sign of either in the installation on my Windows or Mac machines,
>> or in BigSQL Manager.
>>
>> I do not believe this meets the standard we should expect of packages
>> listed on our primary download page, and ask that corrections are made
>> ASAP.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake
>>

>> --
>

> Dave -
>
> Thank you for the feedback. The attached patch addresses the comments you
> raised.  Please review and apply if approved.

Thanks, committed.

> We have tried to replicate the issue you mention running on Windows 7 but
> have not been able to - trying with various combinations of python or not,
> admin or not, etc in all cases BigSQL Manager ran just fine. If you have any
> additional detail we would be glad to look in to your problem more.

All I saw (once - now I see nothing) was:

ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.
ERROR: Input redirection is not supported, exiting the process immediately.

In a message box.

Are you planning to make your website clearer so it's more obvious
that the list of components is not actually what is available with
BigSQL?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: BigSQL Download descriptions
Сообщение: Re: BigSQL Download descriptions