Re: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows

От Dave Page
Тема Re: VS2022: Support Visual Studio 2022 on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Hans Buschmann <buschmann@nidsa.net> wrote:
Hello Michael,

thanks for your hard work and quick response!
It is very convenient to only use VS2022 for Windows from now on...

>Diff unrelated to your patch.

Sorry for the copysoft problem from the first version.

>Glad to see that we should have nothing to do about locales this
>time.  I have not tested, but I think that you covering all the areas
>that need a refresh here.  Nice work.

I think it is almost impossible to overestimate the value of such support from experienced hackers to others starting their journey right now...

I hope I can motivate you (and other experienced hackers) to give me some more support on my real project arriving anytime soon. It addresses hex_encoding (and more) targetting mostly pg_dump, but requires also some deeper knowledge of general infrastructure and building (also on Windows). Stay tuned!

PS: Does anybody have good relations to EDB suggesting them to target VS2022 as the build environment for the upcoming PG15 release?

That would be me...

postgres=# select version ();
                          version
 PostgreSQL 14.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1931, 64-bit
(1 row)

It's extremely unlikely that we'd shift to such a new version for PG15. We build many components aside from PostgreSQL, and need to use the same toolchain for all of them (we've had very painful experiences with mix n match CRT versions in the past) so it's not just PG that needs to support VS2022 as far as we're concerned - Perl, Python, TCL, MIT Kerberos, OpenSSL, libxml2, libxslt etc. are all built with the same toolchain for consistency.