Re: ]GTK 3

От Dave Page
Тема Re: ]GTK 3
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:47 AM, Björn Harrtell <bjorn.harrtell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, sorry, I made both the comments and the patch too hastily and agree
> that it should not be removed based on my findings.
>
> It should be noted though that wx3 or GTK3 by themselves is not to blame
> here, I'm guessing it should affect wx2 and GTK2 too because it's more of a
> logical problem in where a user created the server node in a light theme
> which will save a white color for the background... then if the user
> switches to a dark theme, the saved white color is problematic.

Well the same applies in a more default theme if you use a dark
background. I guess the answer is to say "don't do that then" - I'd
certainly prefer not to have pgAdmin try to second guess what colours
might work against whatever the theme has for the current text colour.

> I noticed work on pgadmin4 too and while interesting, I want to see pgadmin3
> shine on linux desktops in the life it has left which might be quite some
> time (?). I see several distinct areas of work that I'd like to contribute
> efforts with:
>
> 1. Upgrade to latest stable wx

That should be largely done, at least as far as compilation/linking is
concerned. As far as I know the only outstanding issue is with
resource generation when creating a Mac package.

> 2. Compile with GTK+ 3.x as default on Linux (not sure it's ready for this,
> needs research and collaboration with dist packaging)

OK.

> 3. Evaluate which controls that can/need replacement (i.e replace with
> wxTreeListCtrl, wxDataViewCtrl and perhaps wxToolBar)

I think we'd want compelling reasons to use different controls with
wx3 - and they'd need to be compelling enough to warrant additional
code complexity that would be added to continue to support wx2.

> 4. Refactor existing code to use the controls that pass evaulation
>
> Feedback and guidance on how to proceed is much appreciated!

Propose changes here, and justify why they're needed essentially. If
consensus is that a change is warranted, then work can start on a
patch.

Please do bear in mind though that I have something like 10 people
working almost exclusively on pgAdmin 4 right now, pushing us to an
alpha state by the end of Q1 - and whilst I expect pgAdmin 3 to be
around for a while yet, my, and my teams focus will be primarily on
that work.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com