Re: Appreciation for pgAdmin 4's progress

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Appreciation for pgAdmin 4's progress
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 3:41 PM Chin <chinho.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
Also:

 - After viewing data of a table by e.g. show all rows, being able to modify the query in that query window and run the new query would be nice. Right now that query window is read only, for no good reason that I can think of

There is a very good reason; if you arbitrarily change the query, then pgAdmin doesn't know if the resulting data is editable or not, nor can it ensure that any filtering/sorting criteria are properly re-applied (or editable).

This is partly solved in 4.11, which now has smarts in the Query Tool (NOT View/Edit data) where it can detect editable result sets in most common cases, and allow you to make data updates. The original intent was to get rid of View/Edit Data mode with this functionality, but some folks wanted it to stay so they could set sort/filter options through the UI.

 - Being able to monitor the server's logs like in pgAdmin 3 would be nice. Very often I have postgres access to the server but not full remote access, so being able to monitor logs is very useful. Is this missing just because it's not implemented yet or is there any technical problem behind it?

It was always kinda flakey in pgAdmin 3 unless you had your logging setup in the right way. A more generic file view could probably be implemented though - please add a feature request if you like: https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new