Re: pg_class.relistemp

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pg_class.relistemp
Дата
Re: pg_class.relistemp
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, July 14, 2011, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> There has never, ever, been a guarantee that the system catalogs don't
>> change across versions.  Anybody issuing such queries should expect to
>> have to retest them and possibly change them in each new major release.
>
> I know that's always been our policy.  It his, however,
> vendor-unfriendly because we don't supply any interface for many things
> (such as temp tables) other than the system catalogs.
>
> So if we're going to break compatibility, then we could stand to make a
> little noise about it.

As one of said vendors, I completely disagree. There are a ton of
things that change with each release, and all we do by putting in
hacks for backwards compatibility is add bloat that needs to be
maintained, and encourage vendors to be lazy.

Break compatibility is actually something that is important to us - it
forces us to fix obvious issues, and makes it much harder to
inadvertently miss important changes.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com