[pgadmin-hackers] Re: PATCH: RM# 1679 - Background process for "restore" not reportingstatus back to pgAdmin

От Dave Page
Тема [pgadmin-hackers] Re: PATCH: RM# 1679 - Background process for "restore" not reportingstatus back to pgAdmin
Дата
Ответ на [pgadmin-hackers] Re: PATCH: RM# 1679 - Background process for "restore" not reportingstatus back to pgAdmin  (Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

Please find the patch to resolve the issue reported in RM #1679

This will take care of:
- Find the appropriate available Python interpreter to execute the process_executor.py.
  In case of WSGI or Runtime, it was not properly find the interpreter required to execute that script. Also, on windows - we should give priority to the windowless python interpreter (if available).
- Execute the process_executor.py script with proper platform dependent flags to run it as daemon.
- Run the process_executor.py in proper daemon mode. It helps to run the long running processes like backup, restore, etc.
  On windows, run the process_executor.py from process_executor.py in detached mode to allow the child process to run in detached mode.
  On POSIX, fork the process_executor.py to allow the child process to run in daemon mode.
  Also - listen the signal like SIGINT, SIGTERM, so that - the child does not kill, or hangup (It used to happen.

NOTE:
This patch does not take care of the unicode errors in the path. I will send a separate patch for the same.

Unfortunately my first test of this failed:

SERVER_MODE = False
Python 2.7.11 (Mac default)
Running in Chrome

I ran a backup of a database, and got the green backup initiated popup... then, nothing. Upon checking my config, I found I had the PostgreSQL Bin Path set to "$DIR/a/b/c", which clearly won't work. So, we're not yet detecting failure to start a process properly.
During exception handling, the logger's encoding was not set properly during initialisation,  that was resulting into an error.

Also - sometime the process execution does not start quickly enough to list down the process execution properly.
Hence - we should check the process list after some time.

Please find the update patch with the above both problems resolved.

Same results with the new patch - either with a correct bin path or an incorrect one, I see the green notification that the backup has started, then nothing.

Sidenote: I don't even see anything at all in the console output. I think we should at least spit out a debug message showing the command line we're executing the launcher with, and ideally include any other details we can such as job IDs etc.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company