Re: [GSoC] Ideas for the remaining of the project

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [GSoC] Ideas for the remaining of the project
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 2:02 AM Yosry Muhammad <yosrym93@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

The core patch for this project is being finalized and I am unable to work for the current few days due to issues mentioned in the previous email. Therefore, I have been thinking of what can be done in the project after this patch is done.

Below are the features I have been thinking of with a short description (ordered by priority in my point of view):

1- Supporting tables that have OIDs rather than primary keys (I have a bit of research to do about OIDs and how they work).

They're going to need special treatment in 12+, but for older versions it's quite simple; if they exist on a table, they can be considered a unique row identifier.

2- Modifying the way table information is sent from the backend, and the way they are processed in the frontend.

This will include (but is not limited to) modifying the columns info sent to the frontend to include:
- Whether the column is a primary key (instead of matching by name at the frontend).
- Whether the individual column is editable. This means there could be editable resultsets with read-only columns. It will allow for supporting a wider range of resultsets, such as: queries selecting some columns from a table in addition to an aggregation performed on one or more of the columns, queries with renamed columns, etc.

It will also include modifying how columns info is handled in the frontend.

Sure - handling editable resultsets with read-only columns should definitely be part of this project, and I agree that will mean altering the way data is sent from the backend. It's important to keep it as efficient as possible as well; with large resultsets we've found in the past that the data size can be a real issue and previously worked on ways to improve efficiency.

3- Mogirfying queries generated by pgAdmin during saving data changes to be able to display them in a meaningful way to the user. Moreover, a checkbox/preferences option is to be added to enable/disable showing them in the query history (to be discussed further upon implementation). This will involve modifying the cursor and connection wrapper classes in the backend to add a mogrify function wrapper in addition to other changes throughout the code.

Agreed; I think those three parts are very meaningful enhancements to the work you've already done and will lead to a very successful GSoC project.

Let's get the final few tweaks done to the first patch, then move on. I'd love to see that work committed this week.

Thanks - and keep up the good work!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com