Re: To prefer sorts or filters in postgres, that is the question....

От Bob Jones
Тема Re: To prefer sorts or filters in postgres, that is the question....
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> At a short glance, I'd say that they are pretty much the same.
> The filter and the top-1-sort will both require a single scan through
> the result set and one operation per row found.
> And the recursive queries are pretty similar, right?
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
> --
> Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Thanks Laurenz.

After sending my original message, I did briefly reconsider things.

My current thinking is that the filter is a bit like an "fgrep" and
the sort actually requires memory allocation and some "real work", and
thus I've settled on the filter for now pending experiments with a
larger quantity of data.