Re: How to specify/mock the statistic data of tables in PostgreSQL

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: How to specify/mock the statistic data of tables in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 10-Jan-2014, at 19:42, "ygnhzeus" <ygnhzeus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> So correlation is not related to the calculation of selectivity right? If I
> force PostgreSQL not to optimize the join order (by setting
> join_collapse_limit and from_collapse_limit  to 1) , is there any other
> factor that may affect the structure of execution plan regardless of the
> data access method.
>
> 2014-01-10
> ________________________________
> ygnhzeus

Ah, I forgot to mention this point about how planner uses correlation
for access method selection.

And selectivity is a function of statistical distribution of column
values described in pg_statistic by histograms, most common values
(with their occurrence frequencies), number of distinct values, etc.
It has nothing to do with correlation.

--
Amit Langote