Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:39 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. ExecCheckRTPerms(): checks permissions of *all* partitions before
> > executing the plan tree, but maybe it's okay to check only the ones
> > that will be accessed
>
> I don't think it needs to be quite as complex as that.
> expand_single_inheritance_child will set the
> RangeTblEntry.requiredPerms to 0, so we never need to check
> permissions on a partition.  The overhead of permission checking when
> there are many partitions is just down to the fact that
> ExecCheckRTPerms() loops over the entire rangetable and calls
> ExecCheckRTEPerms for each one.  ExecCheckRTEPerms() does have very
> little work to do when requiredPerms is 0, but the loop itself and the
> function call overhead show up when you remove the other bottlenecks.

I had forgotten that we set requiredPerms to 0 for the inheritance child tables.

> I have a patch somewhere that just had the planner add the RTindexes
> with a non-zero requiredPerms and set that in the plan so that
> ExecCheckRTPerms could just look at the ones that actually needed
> something checked.   There's a slight disadvantage there that for
> queries to non-partitioned tables that we need to build a Bitmapset
> that has all items from the rangetable.  That's likely a small
> overhead, but not free, so perhaps there is a better way.

I can't think of anything for this that doesn't involve having one
more list of RTEs or bitmapset of RT indexes in PlannedStmt.

--
Amit Langote

Сообщение: Re: track_planning causing performance regression
Сообщение: Re: track_planning causing performance regression