Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for taking a look.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 4:05 PM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 5:02 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > OK, will post a patch to do so in a new thread on -hackers.
> >
> > Oops, didn't realize that this is already on -hackers.
> >
> > Attached is a patch to use COERCE_IMPLICIT_CAST when the RETURNING
> > type specifies a length limit.
>
> hi.
> i am a little confused.
>
> here[1] tom says:
> > Yeah, I too think this is a cast, and truncation is the spec-defined
> > behavior for casting to varchar with a specific length limit.  I see
> > little reason that this should work differently from
> >
> > select json_serialize('{"a":1, "a":2}' returning text)::varchar(5);
> >  json_serialize
> > ----------------
> >  {"a":
> > (1 row)
>
> if i understand it correctly, and my english interpretation is fine.
> i think tom means something like:
>
> select json_serialize('{"a":1, "a":2}' returning text)::varchar(5) =
> json_serialize('{"a":1, "a":2}' returning varchar(5));
>
> should return true.
> the master will return true, but apply your patch, the above query
> will yield an error.

The RETURNING variant giving an error is what the standard asks us to
do apparently.  I read Tom's last message on this thread as agreeing
to that, even though hesitantly.  He can correct me if I got that
wrong.

> your patch will make domain and char(n) behavior inconsistent.
> create domain char2 as char(2);
> SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '"aaa"', '$' RETURNING char2 ERROR ON ERROR);
> SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '"aaa"', '$' RETURNING char(2) ERROR ON ERROR);
>

> another example:
> SELECT JSON_query(jsonb '"aaa"', '$' RETURNING char(2) keep quotes
> default '"aaa"'::jsonb ON ERROR);
> same value (jsonb "aaa") error on error will yield error,
> but `default expression on error` can coerce the value to char(2),
> which looks a little bit inconsistent, I think.

Interesting examples, thanks for sharing.

Attached updated version should take into account that typmod may be
hiding under domains.  Please test.

> current in ExecInitJsonExpr we have
>
> if (jsexpr->coercion_expr)
> else if (jsexpr->use_json_coercion)
> else if (jsexpr->use_io_coercion)
>
> do you think it is necessary to add following asserts:
> Assert (!(jsexpr->coercion_expr &&  jsexpr->use_json_coercion))
> Assert (!(jsexpr->coercion_expr &&  jsexpr->use_io_coercion))

Yeah, perhaps, but let's consider this independently please.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote

Вложения