Re: Replica Identity check of partition table on subscriber

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: Replica Identity check of partition table on subscriber
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 3:45 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > + * Don't throw any error here just mark the relation entry as not updatable,
> > + * as replica identity is only for updates and deletes but inserts can be
> > + * replicated even without it.
> >
> > I know you're simply copying the old comment, but I think we can
> > rewrite it to be slightly more useful:
> >
> > We just mark the relation entry as not updatable here if the local
> > replica identity is found to be insufficient and leave it to
> > check_relation_updatable() to throw the actual error if needed.
>
> I am fine with improving this comment but it would be better if in
> some way we keep the following part of the comment: "as replica
> identity is only for updates and deletes but inserts can be replicated
> even without it." as that makes it more clear why it is okay to just
> mark the entry as not updatable. One idea could be: "We just mark the
> relation entry as not updatable here if the local replica identity is
> found to be insufficient and leave it to check_relation_updatable() to
> throw the actual error if needed. This is because replica identity is
> only for updates and deletes but inserts can be replicated even
> without it.". Feel free to suggest if you have any better ideas?

I thought mentioning check_relation_updatable() would make it clear
that only updates (and deletes) care about a valid local replica
identity, because only apply_handle_{update|delete}() call that
function.  Anyway, how about this:

We just mark the relation entry as not updatable here if the local
replica identity is found to be insufficient for applying
updates/deletes (inserts don't care!) and leave it to
check_relation_updatable() to throw the actual error if needed.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com