Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid
Дата
Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 12:37 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 7:18 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > True, I think even if we consider that idea it will be a much bigger
> > > change, and also as it will be a behavioral change so we might want to
> > > keep it just for HEAD and some of these fixes need to be backpatched.
> > > Having said that, if you or someone want to pursue that idea and come
> > > up with a better solution than what we have currently it is certainly
> > > welcome.
> >
> > Okay, I did write a PoC patch this morning after sending out my
> > earlier email.  I polished it a bit, which is attached.
>
> I see multiple problems with this patch and idea.

Thanks for looking at it.  Yeah, I have not looked very closely at ALL
TABLES [IN SCHEMA], though only because I suspected that those cases
deal with partitioning in such a way that the partition duplication
issue doesn't arise.  That is, only the FOR TABLE list_of_tables and
ADD TABLE syntax allow for the duplication issue to occur.

> (a) I think you
> forgot to deal with "All Tables In Schema" Publication which will be
> quite tricky to deal with during attach operation. How will you remove
> a particular relation from such a publication if there is a need to do
> so?

Hmm, my understanding of how FOR ALL TABLES... features work is that
one cannot remove a particular relation from such publications?

create schema sch;
create table sch.p (a int primary key) partition by list (a);
create table sch.p1 partition of sch.p for values in (1);
create table sch.p2 partition of sch.p for values in (2);
create table p (a int primary key) partition by list (a);
create table p1 partition of p for values in (1);
create table p2 partition of p for values in (2);
create publication puball for all tables;
create publication pubsch for all tables in schema sch;

alter publication puball drop table p;
ERROR:  publication "puball" is defined as FOR ALL TABLES
DETAIL:  Tables cannot be added to or dropped from FOR ALL TABLES publications.

alter publication pubsch drop table sch.p;
ERROR:  relation "p" is not part of the publication

What am I missing?

> (b) Also, how will we prohibit adding partition and its root in
> the case of "All Tables In Schema" or "All Tables" publication? If
> there is no way to do that, then that would mean we anyway need to
> deal with parent and child tables as part of the same publication and
> this new behavior will add an exception to it.

I checked that FOR ALL TABLES publications don't allow adding a table
explicitly, but apparently IN SCHEMA one does:

alter publication pubsch add table p2;
\dRp+ pubsch
                           Publication pubsch
 Owner | All tables | Inserts | Updates | Deletes | Truncates | Via root
-------+------------+---------+---------+---------+-----------+----------
 amit  | f          | t       | t       | t       | t         | f
Tables:
    "public.p2"
Tables from schemas:
    "sch"

ISTM that the ..IN SCHEMA syntax does not behave like FOR ALL TABLES
without the IN SCHEMA in this regard.  Is that correct?

> (c) I think this can
> make switching "publish_via_partition_root" inconvenient for users.
> Say all or some of the partitions are part of the publication and then
> the user decides to add root table and change publish option
> "publish_via_partition_root" to "true" at that moment she needs to
> remove all partitions first.

Hmm, actually I don't think I have tested the case where some or all
partitions are present by themselves before adding the root table.
I'll check that and try to think of sensible behavior for that.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com