Re: remaining sql/json patches

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: remaining sql/json patches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 23:14 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2024-Mar-07, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> I was experimenting with the v42 patches, and I think the handling of ON
> EMPTY / ON ERROR clauses may need some improvement.

Well, the 2023 standard says things like

<JSON value function> ::=
  JSON_VALUE <left paren>
      <JSON API common syntax>
      [ <JSON returning clause> ]
      [ <JSON value empty behavior> ON EMPTY ]
      [ <JSON value error behavior> ON ERROR ]
  <right paren>

which implies that if you specify it the other way around, it's a syntax
error.

> I'm not sure what the SQL standard says about this, but it seems other
> databases don't agree on the order. Is there a particular reason to
> not allow both orderings?

I vaguely recall that trying to also support the other ordering leads to
having more rules.

Yeah, I think that was it.  At one point, I removed rules supporting syntax that wasn’t documented.

Now maybe we do want that because of compatibility
with other DBMSs, but frankly at this stage I wouldn't bother.

+1.