Re: how is text-equality handled in postgresql?

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: how is text-equality handled in postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 15/01/2014 12:36, Amit Langote wrote:

>>> By default, it is "whatever the operating system thinks it's right".
>>> PostgreSQL doesn't have its own collation code, it uses the OS's locale
>>> support for this.
>>>

>> Just to add to this, whenever strcoll() (a locale aware comparator)
>> says two strings are equal, postgres re-compares them using strcmp().
>> See following code snippet off
>> src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c:varstr_cmp() -
>
>>                 /*
>>                  * In some locales strcoll() can claim that
>> nonidentical strings are
>>                  * equal.  Believing that would be bad news for a
>> number of reasons,
>>                  * so we follow Perl's lead and sort "equal" strings
>> according to
>>                  * strcmp().
>>                  */
>>                 if (result == 0)
>>                         result = strcmp(a1p, a2p);
>
> That seems odd and inefficient. Why would it be necessary? I would think
> indexing (and other collation-sensitive operations) don't care what the
> actual collation result is for arbitrary blobs of strings, as long as
> they are stable?

This is the behavior since quite some time introduced by this commit

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=656beff59033ccc5261a615802e1a85da68e8fad

--
Amit Langote

От: Ivan Voras
Сообщение: Re: how is text-equality handled in postgresql?
Сообщение: Re: how is text-equality handled in postgresql?