Re: [HACKERS] Reducing pg_ctl's reaction time

От Ants Aasma
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Reducing pg_ctl's reaction time
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On 2017-06-27 14:59:18 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> However, it's certainly arguable that this is too much change for an
>>> optional post-beta patch.
>
>> Yea, I think there's a valid case to be made for that. I'm still
>> inclined to go along with this, it seems we're otherwise just adding
>> complexity we're going to remove in a bit again.
>
> I'm not hearing anyone speaking against doing this now, so I'm going
> to go ahead with it.

+1 for going for it. Besides pg_ctl it would also help cluster
management software. In Patroni we basically reimplement pg_ctl to get
at the started postmaster pid to detect a crash during postmaster
startup earlier and to be able to reliably cancel start. Getting the
current state from the pid file sounds better than having a loop poke
the server with pg_isready.

To introduce feature creep, I would like to see more detailed states
than proposed here. Specifically I'm interested in knowing when
PM_WAIT_BACKENDS ends.

When we lose quorum we restart PostgreSQL as a standby. We use a
regular fast shutdown, but that can take a long time due to the
shutdown checkpoint. The leader lease may run out during this time so
we would have to escalate to immediate shutdown or have a watchdog
fence the node. If we knew that no user backends are left we can let
the shutdown checkpoint complete at leisure without risk for split
brain.

Regards,
Ants Aasma