Re: Enabling Checksums

От Ants Aasma
Тема Re: Enabling Checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Ants Aasma <ants@cybertec.at> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
>> So either the CRC32-C polynomial isn't irreducible, or there something
>> fishy going on. Could there be a bug in your CRC implementation? Maybe
>> a mixup between big and little endian, or something like that?
>
> I'm suspecting an implementation bug myself. I already checked the
> test harness and that was all sane, compiler hadn't taken any
> unforgivable liberties there. I will crosscheck the output with other
> implementations to verify that the checksum is implemented correctly.

Looks like the implementation is correct. I cross-referenced it
against a bitwise algorithm for crc32 with the castagnoli polynomial.
This also rules out any endianness issues as the bitwise variant
consumes input byte at a time.

What ever it is, it is something specific to PostgreSQL page layout.
If I use /dev/urandom as the source the issue disappears. So much for
CRC32 being proven good.

Regards,
Ants Aasma
--