Append only replication over intermittent links (with local only delete?)

От Uri Braun
Тема Append only replication over intermittent links (with local only delete?)
Дата
Re: Append only replication over intermittent links (with local onlydelete?)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm looking to run Postgres -- flexible on exact version -- on some devices installed in cars and replicated to a central server over cell phone modems. I expect dropped connections due to: lack of coverage (remote areas), dead spots, tunnels, cars parked in garages, device power disconnected, etc. I expect all data to be generated on the car devices and want it to eventually be copied over to the central server. I would also like to be able to delete old data -- say months old -- on the car equipment and NOT have those deletes propagate to the central server.

To be clear, the car device will surely add data -- append rows -- and may very occasionally add a new table. I would expect the only case where a delete may occur -- other than culling old data -- is during recovery of a partial write or transaction rollbacks. The time requirements are loose, but I would like replication consistency within hours (once connected).

I'm wondering what replication scheme is appropriate for this use case and how to configure it appropriately.

Thank you!
Uri Braun