Re: Update big table

От BladeOfLight16
Тема Re: Update big table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I don't believe you can use JOIN explicitly in this situation because it's an UPDATE, but I believe you can accomplish the same effect with FROM and WHERE.

UPDATE table SET column1 = TRUE
FROM table2
WHERE table1.event_id = table2.event_id;

I would make sure there's an index on table2.event_id if it's not the PK. If it's part of a composite key, either make sure that table2.event_id is the first column in the index (PostgreSQL will use an index like that; right?) or create an index where it is.

(Sorry. Forgot to hit Reply All.)

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo.romano@notorand.it> wrote:
2013/7/14 Haiming Zhang <Haiming.Zhang@redflex.com.au>:
> Hi All,
>

> I am using postgres 9.1, I have a question about updating big table. Here is
> the basic information of this table.
>
>                 1. This table has one primary key and other 11 columns.
>
>                 2.  It also has a trigger that before update records,
> another table got updated first.
>
>                 3. The has millions of records now.
>                 4. I am not allowed to delete records in this table when
> UPDATE
>
> The problem is when I do a "Update" query it takes a long time to execute.
> Eg. when I run query like this " update TABLE set column1 = true where
> EVENT_ID in (select EVENT_ID from TABLE2 );" , it took hours to update the
> whole table. In order to optimize the update speed. I tried the following
> strategies:
>
>                 1. create index based on primary key, column1 and
> combination of primary key and column1.
>
>                 2. Alter FILLFACTOR = 70, vacuum all and then reindex
>
>                 3. drop trigger before update
>
> Then I use "EXPLAIN" to estimate query plan, all of the above strategies do
> not improve the UPDATE speed dramatically.
>

> Please comments on my three strategies (eg, does I index too many columns in
> 1?) and please advise me how to improve the update speed. Any advice is
> welcomed. I appreciate all you help.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Regards,
>
> Haiming