Re: pg_dump documentation page

От Daniel Gochin
Тема Re: pg_dump documentation page
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi Laurenz,

Regarding the first point, I can't believe I missed it. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for pointing it out.

Regarding the second point, if you are using the -F d switch, you may not necessarily look at the -f switch, which is what happened to me at first. Would it not be more explicit if under the -F d switch it said something like, you need to use -f switch in order to specify the directory to be used.

Thanks!
Daniel.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, 8:41 pm Laurenz Albe, <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 01:26 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> I'm not certain but I think that on the page:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/app-pgdump.html, it should mention that
> to use the -j (jobs) switch, you can only use -F d (format directory.)
> Also, when using -F d, you need to use the -f (file) switch as well to
> specify the directory name. I didn't find that to be clear.
>
> e.g.: pg_dump -j 5 -Fd -f "c:\pg backup" test_db

It says right there:

At the -j option:

"You can only use this option with the directory output format because this is the only
 output format where multiple processes can write their data at the same time."

At the -f option:

"This parameter can be omitted for file based output formats, in which case the standard
 output is used. It must be given for the directory output format however, where it
 specifies the target directory instead of a file.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe