Question about row_number() ordering semantics

От Fred Jonsson
Тема Question about row_number() ordering semantics
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey everyone,

As I was playing around with `row_number()`s for cursor-based pagination, I came across some ordering behavior that I didn't expect.

In particular, when I order in a way where multiple rows compete for the same position in the result set (i.e., rows that are equivalent in terms of the requested order), it appears that the `row_number()` column may be out of order.

In the case of the following example query, the ordering in the OVER clause is the opposite of the ordering of the rows, so I expected that the row numbers would effectively be reversed.  However, the example shows that the for the first three values, the `row_number` rows are instead non-ordered.

=> SELECT
->   number,
->   row_number() OVER (ORDER BY number DESC) AS row_number
-> FROM generate_series(0, 20) number
-> INNER JOIN generate_series(2, 4) divisor
->   ON mod(number, divisor) = 0
-> ORDER BY number ASC;

 number | row_number
--------+------------
      0 |         22
      0 |         24
      0 |         23
      2 |         21
      3 |         20
      4 |         18
      4 |         19
      6 |         17
      6 |         16
      8 |         15
      8 |         14
      9 |         13
     10 |         12
     12 |         11
     12 |         10
     12 |          9
     14 |          8
     15 |          7
     16 |          6
     16 |          5
     18 |          4
     18 |          3
     20 |          2
     20 |          1
(24 rows)

Curiously, if I set the row_number column to be `OVER (ORDER BY number ASC)`, the column is returned in order.

Is this behavior to be expected, and is it safe to assume that the out-of-order row numbers can only exist within the set of rows that have the exact same ordering?  In other words, can I expect that row numbers being out of order would never happen between two rows that do not have ordinal equivalence?

Best,
Fred

(If so, in these scenarios I could safely order by row_number as secondary ordering without losing the correct primary sorting order. Of course, for cursor-based pagination this will lead to some unpredictability in terms of where new rows might appear in the result set. I'll probably choose to rather impose more strict ordering based on other constant but variable columns such as a creation timestamp.)