Re: How does Postgres decide if to use additional workers?

От Philip Semanchuk
Тема Re: How does Postgres decide if to use additional workers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Feb 9, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de> wrote:
>
> So, based on which facts does Postgres decide if to use aadditional
> workers or not? Can I see those decisions explained somewhere? I don't
> see anything in the query plan. Thanks!

Hi Thorsten,
This is an interesting topic for me too. here’s a formula for the max number of workers that Postgres will consider for
atable. Of course, most queries use more than just one table, and I don’t yet understand how Postgres handles the
situationwhere the formula suggests multiple workers for some tables and a single worker for others.

There was some conversation about this on the performance mailing list in June. Here’s a link to the message that
containsthe formula; there’s more items of interest in the whole thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/89423FD3-0F13-447D-8D9E-EB1722150F94%40americanefficient.com

Hope this helps
Philip