Re: Block-level CRC checks

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Block-level CRC checks
Дата
Re: Block-level CRC checks  (Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm far from convinced wal logging hint bits is a non starter. In fact
I doubt the wal log itself I a problem. Having to take the buffer lock
does suck though.

Heikki had a clever idea earlier which was to have two crc checks- one
which skips the hint bits and one dedicated to hint bits. If the
second doesn't match we clear all the hint bits.

The problem with that is that skipping the hint bits for the main crc
would slow it down severely. It would make a lot of sense if the hint
bits were all in a contiguous block of memory but I can't see how to
make that add up.

greg