Re: does update of column with no relation imply a relation check of other column?

От Greg Jaskiewicz
Тема Re: does update of column with no relation imply a relation check of other column?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On 19 Oct 2011, at 17:51, Anibal David Acosta wrote:

For example:
Table A
-id (PK)
-name

Table B
-table_a_id (PK, FK)
-address

When I do an insert on table B, the database check if value for column “table_a_id” exists in table A
But, if I do an update of column “address” of table B, does the database check again?

My question is due to the nature of and update in postgres, that basically is a new version “insert”.

In short - I believe it does. No reason for it not to.