Re: Question about where to deploy the business logics for data processing

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Question about where to deploy the business logics for data processing
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Jun 8, 2023, at 8:21 PM, Nim Li <mr.nim.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> We have a PostgreSQL database with many tables, as well as foreign table, dblink, triggers, functions, indexes, etc,
formanaging the business logics of the data within the database.  We also have a custom table for the purpose of
trackingthe slowly changing dimensions (type 2).

> Currently we are looking into using TypeORM (from Nest JS framework) to connect to the database for creating a BE
thatprovides web service.  Some reasons of using TypeORM are that it can update the database schema without any SQL
codes,works very well with Git, etc.  And from what I am reading, Git seems to work better with TypeORM, rather than
handlingindividual batch files with SQL codes (I still need to find out more about this)  Yet I do not think the ORM
conceptdeals with database specify functions, such as dblink and/or trigger-function, etc, which handles the business
logicsor any ETL automation within the database itself (I should read more about this as well.)

> Anyway, in our team discussion, I was told that in modern programming concept, the world is moving away from
deployingprogramming logics within the database (eg, by using PL/SQL).  Instead, the proper way should be to deploy all
theprogramming logics to the framework which is used to connect to the database, such as NestJS in our case.  So, all
weneed in a database should be only the schema (managed by ORM), and we should move all the existing business logics
(currentlymanaged by things like the database triggers, functions, dblink, etc.) to the Typescript codes within the
NestJSframework.

> I wonder if anyone in the community has gone through changes like this?  I mean ... moving the business logics from
PL/SQLwithin the database to the codes in NestJS framework, and reply on only the TypeORM to manage the update of the
databasewithout any SQL codes?  Any thoughts about such a change?

> Thank you!!

You’re riding a pendulum which has swung too far.
In any organization of even minimal complexity, the physical data model and the deployable business model are never
wellaligned: the usages of the data are in a different dimension than the storage and maintenance  of the data.  I’ve
notheard of TypeORM but on this list ORMs are notorious for generating poorly performing queries.  The notion that
applicationprogramming will replace database triggers is ludicrous.

От: Erik Wienhold
Сообщение: Re: How To: A large [2D] matrix, 100,000+ rows/columns
От: Michael Nolan
Сообщение: Re: Question about where to deploy the business logics for data processing