Re: How do I connect postgres table structures and view structures to an existing svn repository?

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: How do I connect postgres table structures and view structures to an existing svn repository?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:17 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:46:11 -0500
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/1/07, John Mitchell <mitchelljj98@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to store schema definitions in version-control which
>>> I can do by
>>> saving the definition and then  importing  into svn, but I  would
>>> like  it
>>> to be automatic , so that when an update occurs to a table or
>>> view within
>>> postgres then that table or view is flagged within svn.  This
>>> would be
>>> similar to what I currently do with source code that I have for a
>>> web app
>>> within  eclipse.
>>
>> My point being that you need to drive the changes from the svn side,
>> not the database side.  I've seen no reliable way to do it otherwise,
>> but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
>
> You are right.  It is always difficult to add structured control to
> unstructured development methods.  The method that I suggested was the
> best I could think of to handle a database that is changed ad hoc with
> no design work beforehand.  If you work from the design side first you
> can create schema documents that feed your database creation and use
> svn to save those versions and document exactly why things changed.

Another good idea is to include in these delta (or migration) scripts
the necessary sql to rollback the change.  Then it's not too hard to
write a tool that you can give db connection params and a version #
to sync to.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com