Re: Reasons for creating linking tables?

От Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina
Тема Re: Reasons for creating linking tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

    I would like to get the point of view from you guys out there who has had a lot of database experience.

    While busy looking into a database that have a lot of issues I have found the following  scenario :

        - Let's call the 3 tables in question tables a,b & c.
        - Currently table a has got a FK referencing table b
        - table b contains only 1 field called id which is the PK and also a FK referencing table c
        - table c is once again a table with a couple of fields.

    My question on this is, why create the linking table?

    Surely the linking table can be removed and the data referenced directly between tables a & c?

    Is there a specific reason why this would need to be done?

* In this specific case, frankly, I can't see none...
It seems you have a relation Many-to-One between table a and c.
I usually place an associative table in the middle when I have a many-to-many relationship, which is not the case.

In this scenario I would consider table b superfluous (specially when it has no other fields except its ID) and short circuit it.

That's my oppinion

Best,
Oliver