Re: OT: Data structure design question: How do they count so fast?

От Brendan Duddridge
Тема Re: OT: Data structure design question: How do they count so fast?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Richard (and anyone else who want's to comment!),

I'm not sure it will really work pre-computed. At least not in an
obvious way (for me! :-)) It's fine to display a pre-computed list of
product counts for the initial set of attribute and attribute values,
but we need to be able to display the counts of products for any
combination of selected attribute values.

Once an attribute value is picked that reduces the set of products to
a small enough set, the queries are fast, so, perhaps we just need to
pre-compute the counts for combinations of attribute values that lead
to a high count of products. Hence, our thought on building a
decision-tree type data structure. This would store the various
combinations of attributes and attribute values, along with the
product count, along with a list of attributes and attribute values
that are applicable for the current set of selected attribute values.
This sounds like it could get rather complicated, so we were hoping
someone might have an idea on a much simpler solution.

Thanks,

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE