Re: design help for performance

От Marc Mamin
Тема Re: design help for performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hello,

it may help to combine Alban solution with yours but at the cost of a
higher complexity:

In table C use instead a column table_b_delta_rowcount (+1 /-1 ,
smallint) and only use INSERTs to maintain it, no UPDATEs (hence with a
non unique index on id).

Then regularily flush table C content to table A, in order to only have
recent changes in C.
Your query should  then query both tables:

SELECT A. table_b_rowcount + coalesce(sum(C.table_b_delta_rowcount))
FROM A LEFT OUTER JOIN B on (A.id=B.id)
WHERE A.id = xxx

Marc Mamin