Re: OpenSSL randomness seeding

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: OpenSSL randomness seeding
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 21 Jul 2020, at 22:00, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>
> On 7/21/20 3:44 PM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder how effective the retries are going to be if they happen immediately. However, most of the code paths I
followedended in a hard error when pg_strong_random() failed so it may not hurt to try. I just worry that some caller
isdepending on a faster failure here.
>> There is that, but I'm not convinced that relying on specific timing for
>> anything RNG or similarly cryptographic-related is especially sane.
>
> I wasn't thinking specific timing -- just that the caller might be expecting it to give up quickly if it doesn't
work.That's what the code is trying to do and I wonder if there is a reason for it.

I think the original intention was to handle older OpenSSL versions where
multiple successful RAND_poll calls were required for RAND_status to succeed,
the check working as an optimization since a failing RAND_poll would render all
efforts useless anyway.  I'm not sure this is true for the OpenSSL versions we
support in HEAD, and/or for modern platforms, but without proof of it not being
useful I would opt for keeping it.

cheers ./daniel

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Improving psql slash usage help message