Re: jsonb and nested hstore

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Дата
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:

> I don't find that very reassuring.

Obviously, we have to try it, and that will decide it.

> I don't understand why an extension is seen as not befitting
> of a more important feature.

contrib/ is considered a secondary set of features; I routinely get pushback from clients about using hstore because
it'snot in core, and they are thus suspicious of it.  The educational project required to change that far exceeds any
technicalwork we are talking about here..  There's a very large presentational difference between having a feature in
contrib/and in core, at the minimum, setting aside the technical issues (such as the extensions-calling-extensions
problem).

We have an existence proof of this already: if there was absolutely no difference between having things being in
contrib/and being in core, full text search would still be in contrib/.

> You are basically suggesting putting all of hstore in core, because
> jsonb and hstore are approximately the same thing. That seem quite a
> bit more controversial than putting everything in the hstore
> extension.

Well, "controversy" is just a way of saying there are people who don't like the idea, and I get that.  But I don't see
thebasis for the dislike.

--
-- Christophe Pettus  xof@thebuild.com