Re: [DOCS] Further Clarification request

От Jym Morton
Тема Re: [DOCS] Further Clarification request
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Mr. Johnston,

Q.  “Why is this one special that it needs to provide an example of a literal containing a single quote that requires escaping?”

A. Because it’s the one I was reading.

When I write software, and use a database I don’t need to escape literals if I have a Prepared Statement.  This is a major reason some of us use Prepared Statements.   So, when I looked at this page, I was unclear about was whether it or not I had to do it.

Comment “The SQL Command section of the docs properly presumes the reader has significant familiarity with writing SQL queries in PostgreSQL”

Response. I am quite competent in writing SQL just not ‘in’ PostgreSQL and that’s the reason I was reading the manual.  I have made numerous pieces of software that use PostgreSQL as a backend.

Comment “More precisely, the vast majority of the docs assume you've read "Chapter 4. SQL Syntax".”

Response: I don’t have any issue with SQL Syntax.

If the point of the Manual is to help people, maybe you shouldn’t be the one answering questions, you don’t seem to have the social skills needed.  Your response is arrogant, uncalled for and seemingly bitter.  It equivalent to me pointing out to you that “More precisely, the vast majority of the docs assume you've read "Chapter 4. SQL Syntax". “ is one of the most ridiculous comments ever written.  Unless the vast majority of the docs are sentient beings they can not assume.