Weird return-value from pg_get_function_identity_arguments() oncertain aggregate functions?

От P O'Toole
Тема Weird return-value from pg_get_function_identity_arguments() oncertain aggregate functions?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Hello, all.

I'm writing because I may have found a bug which emerged somewhere after version 9.3 and at or before 9.6.

While experimenting with some automation for a DBA, I found that expressions created in PLPgSQL using:

SELECT INTO execstring

    format(

      'GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION %I.%I(%s) TO PUBLIC',

      nspname,

      proname,

      pg_get_function_identity_arguments(pg_proc.oid)

    )

    FROM

      pg_proc

      JOIN

      pg_namespace ON pronamespace = pg_namespace.oid

-- WHERE

--   more stuff

were failing in some cases due to syntax error in the generated SQL.

According to the System Information Functions docs, pg_get_function_identity_arguments(OID) should simply "get argument list to identify a function (without default values)", but one example of how it behaves strangely is that:

SELECT pg_get_function_identity_arguments('pg_catalog.percentile_disc(DOUBLE PRECISION[], ANYELEMENT)'::REGPROCEDURE)

yields

'double precision[] ORDER BY anyelement'

which leaves you with a bad expression like:

GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_catalog.percentile_disc(double precision[] ORDER BY anyelement) TO public;

Obviously, the above leads to a syntax error.

Version: PostgreSQL 9.6.6 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-11), 64-bit

Presumably, the approach I showed is old and no longer in use. I've found a way around needing to use pg_get_function_identity_arguments() myself. However, the behavior described above still represents a little pitfall. Is this actually a bug or do the docs perhaps need to be more clear on what pg_get_function_identity_arguments() is meant for (and possibly recommend some alternate way to generate function-signatures)?

Regards,

- Patrick O'Toole

Application Developer

Wyoming Natural Diversity Database

UW Berry Biodiversity Conservation Center

Department 3381, 1000 E. University Av.

Laramie, WY 82071

P: 307-766-3018