Re: Avoiding surrogate keys

От Martin Gainty
Тема Re: Avoiding surrogate keys
Дата
Список pgsql-general
bill-

static information such as country names *should be* de-normalised into non-indexed columns of the driving table as you have already done

if on the other hand the column information country names were changing were dynamic then you would want to keep them in their respective table

as country code 001 will always be US (and the remaining countries and country code will never change)
i would suggest keeping the full name in the driving table (same goes with state/province data btw)

it also saves the database the I/O and CPU from having to do a lookup on another table

my 2 cents
martin-