Re: db server processes hanging around

От Edson Richter
Тема Re: db server processes hanging around
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Em 20/06/2012 04:53, Sumit Raja escreveu:
> Or ask your Java devs to investigate why the shut down does not close
> the physical connection properly. Does IDEA claim to shut down Tomcat
> but actually it is still running because of a threads not being
> cleaned up?
>
> Are you sure this isn't happening during normal operation of the
> application? If its bad connection/thread management, something like
> this might show up in production.
>
> - Sumit
>

> On 19 June 2012 18:28, Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 09:29 AM, Mark Rostron wrote:
>>> hi
>>>
>>> we are running out of database connections.
>>>
>>> we are using pg 9.0.6 on linux centos 5.7 64bit.
>>> we are not using any go-between connection pools such as pgbouncer or
>>> pgpool - connections occur directly from client to database.
>>> the connection setup on the client (java) is default, only providing
>>> (user,password,dbhost,dbname).
>>>
>>> we have about 10 developers developing java thru IDEA who start/stop the
>>> local tomcat server frequently.
>>> i have observed that tomcat doesn't disconnect from pg cleanly when they
>>> cycle, and the server processes persist for a long time.
>>> I have had them reduce their local connection factory pool size to 1 (this
>>> helped) and increased our max_connection value to 1000.
>>> yet the problem persists.
>>>
>>> I have noticed that the server processes do die "after some time" - due to
>>> inactivity?
>>> we are looking for a way to control server processes better than we are
>>> doing now.
>>>
>>> thnx for your time.
>>> mr
>>>

>> I am unaware of any system setting like max_connection_idle_time (though it
>> might be a useful addition). I have not had to mess with tcp_keepalive
>> settings but you might be able to alter those (perhaps at the OS instead of
>> PostgreSQL) to reduce the delay before the backend terminates. But this
>> won't work for socket connections.
>>
>> You could hack together a tailored solution by having cron run a script that
>> would query pg_stat_activity for queries equal to "<IDLE>" and with a
>> backend_start age greater than whatever you find reasonable and then execute
>> pg_terminate_backend() on those PIDs. You could even have a table of
>> developer IP addresses and only terminate those processes. Alternately, if
>> Tomcat connected to a different port you could only kill those.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
>> --

I've been working with Tomcat and PostgreSQL (and NetBeans + Eclipse
IDEs) for about 4 years now, without such problem.
When Tomcat is stopped, all database connections are closed (if you are
using the great Database Pooling that comes with Tomcat).
But then, you must check your application. There are times when you
create a thread (and forget to set "Deamon" as true), and then when you
Shutdown Tomcat, it remains running (you check confirm that looking for
the "java" processess in memory.
If you are running IDEA + Tomcat, you will see (at minimum) 2 Java
process running. When you stop Tomcat, then you should see only one Java
process running (otherwise, you have a "hang" thread in your application).
One idea is to create a Application Lifecycle listener, and make it
shutdown all your Threads (and possible database connections) before
leaving.

Regards,

Edson

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: RETURNING MORE THAN ONE CUSTOM TYPE FROM FUNCTION
От: "Marc Watson"
Сообщение: 32-bit libpq with 64-bit server