Problem with character encodings.

От Korumilli, Bala S (GE Healthcare)
Тема Problem with character encodings.
Дата
Re: Problem with character encodings.  (Ivo Rossacher <rossacher@bluewin.ch>)
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

We recently moved to postgres.
We need a special character '°'  degree symbol in our database.

Query of interest:   INSERT INTO test1 VALUES(3,'sree°kanth','05/05/1983','06:06:06.234',3.2345677787);

If i use PGADMIN to run this query, '°' is properly inserted into database.

But If i write a c++ program using LIBPQ to run this query, I get an error of invalid byte sequence like this..

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8".

I also observed the same error comes for all the characters other than ascii(0-127).
Is it a limitation of LibPQ library?

The follwing information may be helpful to you.
DataBase encoding: UTF8.
client_encoding: UTF8
Postgres version: 8.2.3

Can you please tell me what is the reason for this strange behaviour?

Thanks & Regards
Bala Sreekanth.