could not access status of transaction

От Tom Duffey
Тема could not access status of transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi All,

One of our databases suffered a problem yesterday during a normal update, something we have been doing for years.  Near the end of the process a foreign key constraint is rebuilt on a table containing several hundred million rows.  Rebuilding the constraint failed with the following message:

ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 4294918145
DETAIL:  Could not open file "pg_clog/0FFF": No such file or directory.

Here's the table and constraint definitions:

CREATE TABLE point_history (
    point_id integer NOT NULL,
    value real NOT NULL,
    status integer NOT NULL,
    "timestamp" timestamp without time zone NOT NULL
);

ALTER TABLE point_history ADD CONSTRAINT point_history_pkey PRIMARY KEY (point_id, "timestamp");
ALTER TABLE point_history ADD CONSTRAINT "$1" FOREIGN KEY (point_id) REFERENCES point(id);

I read about this and and created the pg_clog/0FFF file, filling it with 256K of zeroes and then vacuumed the database.  Then I tried rebuilding the constraint and received a foreign key violation:

DETAIL:  Key (point_id)=(2) is not present in table "point".

The crappy thing about this is that there was no record in the point_history table with point_id = 2:

db=> select * from point_history where point_id = 2;
 point_id | value | status | timestamp
(0 rows)

I scratched my head for a while and decided to reload the database from a backup, which I'm still working on now.  I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this?  I found references to similar problems but they were all for older versions of PostgreSQL.  When the problem occurred we were running 8.3.6 and are now running 8.3.7.

Tom

--
Technology by Design :: http://techbydesign.com/
p: 414.431.0800