Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Jul 17, 2017, at 2:34 PM, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Well, if you or somebody is willing to do the legwork, I'd be on board
>> with a plan that says that every 68 years we redefine the origin of
>> abstime.  I imagine it could be done so that currently-stored abstime
>> values retain their present meaning as long as they're not too old.
>> For example the initial change would toss abstimes before 1970 overboard,
>> repurposing that range of values as being 2038-2106, but values between
>> 1970 and 2038 still mean the same as they do today.  If anybody still
>> cares in circa 2085, we toss 1970-2038 overboard and move the origin
>> again, lather rinse repeat.
>>
>> But we're already past the point where it would be time to make the
>> first such switch, if we're gonna do it.  So I'd like to see somebody
>> step up to the plate sooner not later.
>
> Assuming other members of the community would not object to such
> a plan, I'd be willing to step up to that plate.  I'll wait a respectable time,
> maybe until tomorrow, to allow others to speak up.

There was not much conversation about this, so I went ahead with what
I think makes a logical first step.  The attached patch removes the tinterval
datatype from the sources.

I intend to remove reltime next, and then make the changes to abstime in
a third patch.

mark