Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Дата
Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct2, 2011, at 08:12 , Jeff Davis wrote:
> Done. Now range types more closely resemble records in parsing behavior.
> Patch attached.

Cool!

Looking at the patch, I noticed that it's possible to specify the default
boundaries ([], [), (] or ()) per individual float type with the
DEFAULT_FLAGS clause of CREATE TYPE .. AS RANGE. I wonder if that doesn't
do more harm then good - it makes it impossible to deduce the meaning of
e.g. numericrange(1.0, 2.0) without looking up the definition of numericrange.

I suggest we pick one set of default boundaries, ideally '[)' since that
is what all the built-in canonization functions produce, and stick with it.

best regards,
Florian Pflug