Re: Update to reflect that TLS1 and TLSv1.1 are now deprecated

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Update to reflect that TLS1 and TLSv1.1 are now deprecated
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 24 Mar 2021, at 21:07, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> On 24.03.21 10:49, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> The recently published RFC 8996 deprecates the use of TLSv1 and TLSv1.1, the
>> attached rewords where we say our default of 1.2 is industry best practice with
>> a link to the authoritative source.
>
> The "industry best practices" the original text refers to are things like PCI-DSS and various announcements by
browservendors.  Those best practices have already been around for long before RFC 8996.  I think this patch is
manglingthe two concepts of what is best practice and what is officially deprecated, and since when each of them
applies.

Well, since the publishing of RFC 8996 as a BCP document the industry best
practice is to not allow TLSv1.0 or TLSv1.1 at all, so claiming 1.2 as the
default with others available being best practice is concept mangling to some
extent as well.

> However, now that I read this, it's not clear from this who is doing the deprecating.  Someone could wonder, does
thismean PostgreSQL will drop support for it?

OpenSSL and/or distributions are likely to beat us to it, so users may find
their servers unreachable after upgrading OpenSSL because of the protocol no
longer being available.  Maybe it's the below wording which should reflect that
all versions of OpenSSL will restrict the available protocols, either because
of age or RFC 8996?

    "Older versions of the OpenSSL library do not support all values; an
    error will be raised if an unsupported setting is chosen."

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: "there is no way to insert less than one row"
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: "there is no way to insert less than one row"