Re: [HACKERS] COPY formatting

От Matt Van Mater
Тема Re: [HACKERS] COPY formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a comment about the following thread from about 2 months ago that
dealt with delimiters in the copy command:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=107960271207890&w=2

I wanted to chime in and say that I think having more complex delimiters
would be very useful.  I was curious if there are any developers considering
working on this?  Here is an example of why I would like to see multi
character delimiters:

I use pgsql 7.3.2 on OpenBSD 3.4 to store the results of my nessus scans
(nessus is a very large and popular vulnerability scanner, see nessus.org).
I currently use perl to parse the scan results and create tens of thousands
of insert statements for each scan that is run, and was looking into using
the copy command to speed up adding that data to the db.  Nessus scan
results are very text heavy and often have many characters within the text
fields, so I don't think there are any single characters that I can use as a
delimiter (^|,\n and many others are all used within the scan results).
With that in mind I'd like to specify my own custom multi character
delimiter to ensure that it won't be used within a field.

Matt

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp