Re: RAMFS with Postgres

От vinita bansal
Тема Re: RAMFS with Postgres
Дата
Re: RAMFS with Postgres  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

My application is database intensive. I am using 4 processes since I have 4
processeors on my box. There are times when all the 4 processes write to the
database at the same time and times when all of them will read all at once.
The database is definitely not read only. Out of the entire database, there
are a few tables which are accessed most of the times and they are the ones
which seem to be the bottleneck. I am trying to get as much performance
improvement as possible by putting some of these tables in RAM so that they
dont have to be read to/written from hard disk as they will be directly
available in RAM. Here's where slony comes into picture, since we'll have to
mainatin a copy of the database somewhere before running our application
(everything in RAM will be lost if there's a power failure or anything else
goes wrong).

My concern is how good Slony is?
How much time does it take to replicate database? If the time taken to
replicate is much more then the perf. improvement we are getting by putting
tables in memory, then there's no point in going in for such a solution. Do
I have an alternative?

Regards,
Vinita Bansal

Logon to MSN Games http://www.msngamez.com/in/gamezone/ Enjoy unlimited