Re: Replication options?

От Liam Lesboch
Тема Re: Replication options?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com>
>To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>CC: Liam Lesboch <liamlesboch@hotmail.com>, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Replication options? Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:38:34
>-0700 (PDT)
>
>--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com> writes:
> > > That probably won't impress your bosses.  If you
> > need
> > > a track record, then erServer might be what you
> > need.
> > > erServer is a commercially produced product that
> > was
> > > (is still?) used by Afilias, the provider of
> > registry
> > > services for the .info and .org domains.  That's
> > > serious testing; very large databases and lots of
> > > traffic.
> >
> > > Note that Afilias paid for the development of
> > Slony-I;
> >
> > ... because they were quite unhappy with erServer
> >
> > Now erServer did work for them, but it required
> > significant amounts of
> > tuning and constant babysitting by the DBA.  (If
> > Andrew Sullivan is
> > paying attention to this thread, he can offer lots
> > of gory details.)
> > I can also personally testify that getting erServer
> > set up is a major
> > pain in the rear.  I haven't messed with Slony, but
> > all reports are that
> > it's a substantially better piece of code.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
> >

>Granted...
>Liam's bosses want something with a history of
>successful use in a serious production situation, and
>erServer at least has that.  Slony has been around for
>too short a time to make that claim, yet.

Thank you. You understand my position. I am the advocate for using Open
Source technologies in our productions environment. My boss, as they say has
the foot out the door and one inside or is the putting the toes in the
waters not jumping in top first. He reads the magazines and shows me the
reviews in them and it takes much work to show him the other stories that
are not wrote yet.

Liam