Re: Data warehousing requirements

От Aaron Werman
Тема Re: Data warehousing requirements
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Consider how the fact table is going to be used, and review hacking it up
based on usage. Fact tables should be fairly narrow, so if there are extra
columns beyond keys and dimension keys consider breaking it into parallel
tables (vertical partitioning).

Horizontal partitioning is your friend; especially if it is large - consider
slicing the data into chunks. If the fact table is date driven it might be
worthwhile to break it into separate tables based on date key.  This wins in
reducing the working set of queries and in buffering. If there is a real
hotspot, such as current month's activity, you might want to keep a separate
table with just the (most) active data.Static tables of unchanged data can
simplify backups, etc., as well.

Consider summary tables if you know what type of queries you'll hit.
Especially here, MVCC is not your friend because it has extra work to do for
aggregate functions.

Cluster helps if you bulk load.

In most warehouses, the data is downstream data from existing operational
systems. Because of that you're not able to use database features to
preserve integrity. In most cases, the data goes through an
extract/transform/load process - and the output is considered acceptable.
So, no RI is correct for star or snowflake design. Pretty much no anything
else that adds intelligence - no triggers, no objects, no constraints of any
sort. Many designers try hard to avoid nulls.

On the hardware side - RAID5 might work here because of the low volume if
you can pay the write performance penalty. To size hardware you need to
estimate load in terms of transaction type (I usually make bucket categories
of small, medium, and large effort needs) and transaction rate. Then try to
estimate how much CPU and I/O they'll use.

/Aaron

"Let us not speak of them; but look, and pass on."