Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch

От John Lumby
Тема Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> From: tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
> To: klaussfreire@gmail.com
> CC: hlinnakangas@vmware.com; johnlumby@hotmail.com; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 17:56:57 -0400
>
> Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> It's not really the tuple, just the tid
>
> > And, furthermore, it's used only to do prefetching, so even if the tid
> > was invalid when the tuple needs to be accessed, it wouldn't matter,
> > because the indexam wouldn't use the result of ampeeknexttuple to do
> > anything at that time.
>
> Nonetheless, getting the next tid out of the index may involve stepping
> to the next index page, at which point you've lost your interlock

I think we are ok as peeknexttuple (yes  bad name,  sorry,  can change it ...
never advances to another page  :

 *    btpeeknexttuple() -- peek at the next tuple different from any blocknum in pfch_list
 *                           without reading a new index page
 *                       and without causing any side-effects such as altering values in control blocks
 *               if found,     store blocknum in next element of pfch_list

> guaranteeing that the *previous* tid will still mean something by the time
> you arrive at its heap page. I presume that the ampeeknexttuple call is
> issued before trying to visit the heap (otherwise you're not actually
> getting much I/O overlap), so I think there's a real risk here.
>
> Having said that, it's probably OK as long as this mode is only invoked
> for user queries (with MVCC snapshots) and not for system indexscans.
>
> regards, tom lane

Сообщение: Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
Сообщение: Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch