Re: Polyphase Merge

От
Тема Re: Polyphase Merge
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 10:13 PM
To: "Sam Mason" <sam@samason.me.uk>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Polyphase Merge

> I agree --- having to read the run back from external storage, only to
> write it out again with no further useful work done on it, sounds like
> a guaranteed loser.  To make this work you'll need some kind of ju-jitsu
> rearrangement that logically puts the run where it needs to go without
> physically moving any data.

I'm not going to write it back with no useful work on it. I should just
write them in reverse order during run formation (ju-jitsu couldn't help me
in this case) or read them in reverse order while merging (ju-jitsu may
help... the point is that I'm not so good in ju-jitsu).

An idea could be managing a list of pointers to runs contained into tapes.
Any comment?